[cmath] Nature turns down an obituary on Grothendieck by Mumford and Tate

Robert Dawson rdawson at cs.smu.ca
Wed Dec 17 10:15:20 EST 2014

On 12/16/2014 5:53 PM, barbeau at math.toronto.edu wrote:
> The issue is not whether a typical reader is on top of all the terminology
> but whether in the obituary the writer gives a sense of the achievement of
> the deceased and some sense of the range of ideas in which he operated.
>
> If a given reader is unfamiliar with the technicalities, then that reader
> has learned something -- that there is an important world beyond his
> immediate ken that is consequential. And this is not a bad thing.
>
> I think that Mumford succeeded in his purpose.

So do I.  The obituary was excellent.  It even gave the careful reader a
rather good idea of what Grothendieck had done.  And Nature should
probably have run it. I say "probably" because Nature has always
considered its /raison d'etre/ to exclude mathematics, except for quirky
experimental stuff about how densely you can pack regular polyhedra
without using any theory, which is more a sort of Lego physics.

We aren't currently planning on running an obituary for Grothendieck in
the NOTES because we normally only do that when there is a strong
Canadian connection. Nature is perhaps in the same boat.  What surprised
me most was that they thought they /might/ run one. Had they thought
/Recoltes et semailles /was an agronomy textbook?

It was only in his take on why the obit was declined that I thought he
had perhaps not quite hit the nail on the head. Grothendieck's work was
so specialized that I would /not/ expect most scientists to know
anything about it; but Nature /would/ have run an obit for an
experimental scientist whose work was equally specialized.

Cheers,
       Robert