[cmath] Nature turns down an obituary on Grothendieck by Mumford and Tate

barbeau at math.toronto.edu barbeau at math.toronto.edu
Tue Dec 16 16:53:23 EST 2014

The issue is not whether a typical reader is on top of all the terminology
but whether in the obituary the writer gives a sense of the achievement of
the deceased and some sense of the range of ideas in which he operated.

If a given reader is unfamiliar with the technicalities, then that reader
has learned something -- that there is an important world beyond his
immediate ken that is consequential. And this is not a bad thing.

I think that Mumford succeeded in his purpose.

Ed Barbeau