[cmath] Nature turns down an obituary on Grothendieck by Mumford and Tate

Chandler Davis davis at math.toronto.edu
Wed Dec 17 13:04:29 EST 2014

Let me put in a word.  The Mathematical Intelligencer is another
periodical which is not planning to publish an obituary of
Alexander Grothendieck (though I have a good deal of affection
for him and do think his death is a significant event for the
community); our reason is different, it's just that The
Intelligencer has a much longer pre-publication delay than many
other magazines do.  The challenge Mumford and Tate took up was
daunting and twofold: to write something that could be read with
understanding by biologists who hadn't used mathematics much,
even simple math terminology, for forty years; and to write an
indication of what was novel about Grothendieck's approach to
algebraic geometry.  The editors of Nature shouldn't be presumed
to have rejected the article on the basis that the authors had
set the bar too high for the non-mathematical biologist reader;
they may have thought that even for the reader for whom "group"
and "polynomial" were not barriers to comprehension, the sketch
of schemes etc --necessarily QUITE a sketchy sketch-- would be.
Granting the editors the right to try to do their difficult job
independently, I still think the authors have a right to feel
miffed, having responded to an invitation and made a creditable
attempt at a difficult task.

Chandler