WebMath: math text on the web

June Lester jalester at cecm.sfu.ca
Fri Sep 3 14:32:10 EDT 1999

Debbie Kell <kelld at mccc.edu> wrote:

>What about supporting the students in writing math for the web?   How about
>that dialogue between student and teacher?  E-mail, chat rooms, bulletin
>boards?   Some of these approaches involve skills and products that I'm not
>sure the students could manage.  I'd love to hear what folks have used to
>facilitate student interaction?

So would I - student/tutor-marker communication is another problem (er,
sorry, "challenge" :o) ) that we're facing.  What I would like is some sort
of whiteboard, rather than any math web-typesetting software, since it
would keep communication faster and more spontaneous than if the students
had to create equations separately.  And because we'd like to be able to
communicate diagrams back and forth, if possible.

And it has to be cross-platform (Mac/PC) and either free or fairly cheap.
We're already going to require the students to buy some CAS/graphing
software, probably LiveMath/MathView/Theorist <http://www.livemath.com>,
and can't really justify asking them to pay much for more software on top
of that.  (We already have FirstClass for email, chat, etc., so that's not
an issue.)

Suggestions/experiences anyone?