WebMath: math text on the web

Larry Husch husch at math.utk.edu
Fri Sep 3 05:40:51 EDT 1999

Hi-

When I started putting my calculus materials online, I used gifs.  While
I continue to use gifs, I get a lot more flexibility using three other
methods:

1. MathType objects embedded in a Macromedia Flash movie.
   See any of the tutorials on
     http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/
   This requires the use of Shockwave Flash plug-in but this plug-in now
   comes with both Netscape and IE.
2. HotEqn - This is a Java applet that will let you put math on the web
   using TeX. See
   http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/2/definition.9/index.html
   for an example which uses Javascript to change the equations randomly.
   The problem with this method is that it is slow although it does seems
   faster when using IE 5.0.
3. IBM Pro. TechExplorer (or Maple Explorer) which will let you put math
   on the web using either TeX or MathML.  These are plug-ins which you
   can purchase from IBM (or Maple).  IBM also provides a limited
   version of the plug-in for free.  I have some pages which requires the
   use of the full version:
http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/2/definition.9/index-te.html
   which does the same thing as the example in #2 above.  It is a lot
   faster but does not work with IE.  The free version will not let you
   interact with Javascript but will work also on IE.

Best,
Larry
Larry Husch                phone: 423-974-4162    fax: 423-974-6576
Mathematics Department     http://www.math.utk.edu/~husch
University of Tennessee    Co-Director, Mathematics Archives
Knoxville, TN 37996-1300   http://archives.math.utk.edu/