WebMath: collaboration

Deborah Kell kelld at bellatlantic.net
Thu Aug 5 12:36:11 EDT 1999

I'm interested in somehow finding better ways of sharing
online resources and  facilities.   The uploading of math
symbols is nowhere near as easy as uploading plain text.
Search engine spiders are being overwhelmed by the sheer
quantity of websites, and sometimes don't even know of
existing websites unless they are heavily used and linked to
as it is.  (Unless one pays to keep registration with search
engines up to date, it's a tough job to do so as an
individual.  Monthly reregistration with each of the search
engines is necessary to keep your website on their active
lists.)  And there are some beautiful resources out there
that could become part of a "link-net" or similar web
connection system.  What do other folk think?  I'd be more
than happy if other educators linked to, used, contributed
ideas to our website(s) and I'd love to be referred to link
to, use and contribute to others.  If we worked at linking
to each other more efficiently and methodically, then the
search engines' spider software would be more likely to find
us as well.

I have two websites that might be of interest to members of
this listserve.

This first website is an attempt to get math support
services online for our community college students.  The
most popular pages are those involving the interactive
quizzes and the fast facts.   The "post a question" feature
may become password-protected in the future, if volume and
other considerations arise.
http://www.mccc.edu/~kelld/olmlc.html

This next one is a barely-begun project designed to become
sort of a repository of resources for both educators and
students looking at online learning (not math specific).
With this one, I'm certain that I'm duplicating a number of
resources that already exist, but I'm just not sure where
they may be.
http://www.mccc.edu/~kelld/flashydata.html

Debbie Kell
Mercer County Community College