[cmath] [REMINDER/RAPPEL] Call For Proposals: 2019 Endowment Grants Competition | Appel de projets : Concours de bourses du fonds de dotation 2019

Michael Doob mdoob at ad.umanitoba.ca
Wed Sep 18 13:16:00 EDT 2019

As one who is foreign-born in a unilingual country, I really love discussions within my adopted
country concerning the nuances of language. This is great. I can't speak for the French, but
in English the context of the message would certainly be à-propos.

Using the suggested  “Please see the English version below” seems really formal for
the messages we usually receive from the CMS. It sounds like we're getting a request
for money from Revenue Canada. "The English follows", which I believe is what is being used
now, can also be interpreted as "follows in another email", so something a little less formal
but nonetheless accurate is desired.

One possibility: "English following French" in parentheses. I think the participle implies continuity
within the email. Another: "English below after French".  These are accurate but, perhaps,
a bit too abrupt.

Any better suggestions?

Cheers,
Michael

--
Michael Doob                    Telephone: (204) 474-9796
Department of Mathematics       Fax: (204) 474-7606
University of Manitoba          email: Michael_Doob at umanitoba.ca
Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2