[cmath] Fwd: The Klein Project

Peter Taylor peter.taylor at queensu.ca
Tue May 26 00:06:06 EDT 2009

I forward an invitation from Bernard to contribute ideas to the Klein Project.
http://www.mathunion.org/index.php?id=805
This indeed seems like an interesting (and challenging!) project.
They propose to produce a book, a DVD and a wiki
to which all can contribute on an ongoing
basis--all of this focused on helping teachers
make connections between the mathematics they
teach and the field of mathematics.  The first
meeting of the design team is less than a week
away, but they are asking for our input.
Many of us will know a few members of the
8-person team.  First of all it includes Christiane Rousseau!
The Chair Bill Barton has often visited Canada
and at least once (if my memory serves)
CMESG.  Bill McCallum I know from work with calculus reform.
One thing I liked about the description is their
aim to produce a book to "stimulate" math teachers.  A worthy ambition.
peter

Peter Taylor
Professor
Math&Stats