[Webmath] Zenome - Help Build a Mathematics Community of Knowledge

darren at zenome.com darren at zenome.com
Thu Nov 10 08:24:45 EST 2005

Hello Everyone:

I am the Mathematics Editor with a new Internet start-up called Zenome
(www.zenome.com).
The idea behind Zenome is to build collaborative, highly functional, Web
Communities, representing the combined knowledge and experience of its
members. To start, Zenome will be gathering annotated links to relevant
Web pages as well as spawning discussion groups for topics of interest.
Many more knowledge sharing/leveraging features will follow.

I want to invite you all to get involved in building a Math Community that
everyone can benefit from.

I've seeded the Mathematics Community with some initial data. Have a look at:

http://www.zenome.com/searcher/subCategories.php?parentID=013.111&desc=Sciences/Mathematics

A couple of ways that Zenome is different than existing
directories/communities:

* The intent is to pay both Community editors and page indexers a
percentage of the advertising revenue generated by the site. The
commissions would be relatively small to start, but it is our way of
trying to say "thank you" to the Community.

* Zenome gathers much more meta-data about each page indexed than
traditional directories - and over time we intend to use this meta-data to
vastly enrich the user experience of Zenome over time.

* Zenome is meant to grow "organically" - with the directory structure
set, in the most part, by indexers and editors. Everyday contributors will
have a much greater impact on all aspects of their respective Zenome
communities.

* Zenome's self-organizing tools should ensure that users receive the most
relevant search results. The self-organizing algorithms should also ensure
that Zenome's results improve as the directory grows.

* The knowledge encapsulated in the pages listed in Zenome categories will
be leveraged to create new knowledge - it won't just be static.

I'd love to hear your feedback on the Mathematics Community at Zenome.
Like I said above, I've just started working on this site and I'm hoping
together we can build it into something great!

Darren (dredfern)
Editor, Mathematics
Zenome.com