WebMath: Welcome

June Lester jalester at cecm.sfu.ca
Sat Jul 24 18:06:33 EDT 1999

Hello, WebMathers.

	Let me introduce myself:  I'm June Lester, the host for this list.
I'm a mathematician normally based at the University of New Brunswick,
Canada, but currently on leave at the Centre for Experimental and
Constructive Mathematics <http://www.cecm.sfu.ca/> at Simon Fraser
University, where we work on such fun projects as an online Mathematics
Lab.  I'm very much interested in all facets of web-based mathematics, and
started this list to encourage talk among those with the same interests.

	Currently, after being live for about three days, we have 120
confirmed list members, and another dozen or so who have yet to confirm.
(My apologies to those of you who experienced subscription glitches; these
have now been cleared up, and the process should now run smoothly.)  The
domains represented thus far include au, ca, com, cz, dk, edu, fr, ie, jp,
lk, my, net, nz, pl, sa, uk and us, so we're pretty international.  My only
complaint thus far is that most of you appear to be lurkers :o), but I
expect that to change shortly once we get the discussions going.  I'll post
a few of my own questions shortly.

	We have very few rules, which should have appeared in the welcome
message you received; here they are again as a reminder:

The posting address is webmath at mail.math.ca.

Basic nettiquette is expected: don't flame, don't post off the list topic,
etc. Remember that members of this list may have limited email resources:
don't send attachments, vcf cards or HTML formatted messages, and quote
only the relevant portions of the original message in any reply. Keep any
product announcements to five lines plus a URL - no advertising please -
and put something like "product announcement" in the subject line.

The list is set up to send replies to the whole list. If you want to reply
to an individual, please change the "to" line - don't automatically hit
reply!

The host reserves the right to modify these rules at any time and to remove
anyone from the list for failing to follow these rules or for any other
objectionable behaviour.

	Once again, welcome, and enjoy the list.