[cmath] Assistant Professor - Quantum Information - University of Waterloo

Xinxin Z itassist at cms.math.ca
Wed Oct 18 18:26:49 EDT 2023

University of Waterloo

Applications are invited for one tenure-track faculty position at the
rank of Assistant Professor and in special cases Associate or Full
Professor, at the Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC). This position
can be held in any of the departments and schools connected to IQC:
Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics, Combinatorics and Optimization,
Electrical and Computer Engineering, Chemistry, Physics & Astronomy, and
the Cheriton School of Computer Science. The anticipated start date will
be September 1, 2024.

A PhD and significant evidence of excellence in research in quantum
information science and technology and the potential for effective
teaching are required. Responsibilities include the supervision of
graduate students and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Based on qualifications, an annual salary range of $100,000 to $155,000
will be considered. Negotiations beyond this annual salary range will be
considered for exceptionally qualified candidates. The search is open to
all areas of quantum information that connect with the goals and ongoing
research at IQC. We are especially interested in candidates working in:

  * Quantum error correction, fault tolerance, and related areas,
  * Theory connected to experiment, and
  * Experimental Optical Quantum Communication.

However, excellent candidates in all areas, both theory and experiment,
will be fully considered. Demonstrated experience connecting theory and
experiment is a plus, as is an innovative mindset towards quantum
technologies.

IQC is a collaborative research institute at the University of Waterloo
focused on quantum information science and technology, ranging from the
theory of quantum information to practical applications. At present, IQC
has a complement of 30 faculty members, 47 postdoctoral fellows and 200
graduate students from the Faculties of Engineering, Mathematics and
Science. Membership in IQC is renewable and comes with research space, a
teaching reduction of one course per year, and a stipend. Information
about research at IQC can be found
at_https://uwaterloo.ca/institute-for-quantum-computing/research_and_https://tqt.uwaterloo.ca_/.
Full consideration for these positions is assured only for applications
received by December 1, 2023. Interested individuals should upload their
application via the faculty application form
at_https://uwaterloo.ca/institute-for-quantum-computing/available-positions_and
arrange for three referees to upload letters of reference.

The University of Waterloo acknowledges that much of our work takes
place on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and
Haudenosaunee peoples. Our main campus is situated on the Haldimand
Tract, the land granted to the Six Nations that includes six miles on
each side of the Grand River. Our active work toward reconciliation
takes place across our campuses through research, learning, teaching,
and community building, and is centralized within our_Indigenous
Initiatives Office
<https://uwaterloo.ca/human-rights-equity-inclusion/indigenousinitiatives>_(_https://uwaterloo.ca/human-rights-equity-inclusion/indigenousinitiatives
<https://uwaterloo.ca/human-rights-equity-inclusion/indigenousinitiatives>_)/./

/Improving the representation participation and engagement of equity
deserving groups and/First Nations, Métis and Inuit/within our community
is a key object of Waterloo’s strategic plan 2020-2025./

The University values the diverse and intersectional identities of its
students, faculty, and staff. The University regards equity and
diversity as an integral part of academic excellence and is committed to
accessibility for all employees. The University of Waterloo seeks
applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism and inclusion.
As such, we encourage applications from candidates who have been
historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including applicants who
identify as First Nations, Métis and/or Inuit/Inuk, Black, racialized, a
person with a disability, a woman and/or 2SLGBTQ+.

The University of Waterloo is committed to accessibility for persons
with disabilities. If you have any application, interview or workplace
accommodation requests, please contact [IQC Director
at_iqc-dtr at uwaterloo.ca_].

If you have any questions regarding the position, the application
process, assessment process, or eligibility, please contact [department
contact name and contact information].

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority.

apply:_https://uwaterloo.ca/faculty-association/why-waterloo
<https://uwaterloo.ca/faculty-association/why-waterloo>__._

This employment posting is among those listed in the Careers section of
the CMS website:
https://cms.math.ca/careers