[cmath] Assistant Professor, Teaching-Stream – Mathematics - University of Toronto

Xinxin Z itassist at cms.math.ca
Wed Oct 18 18:16:14 EDT 2023

University of Toronto

The Department of Mathematics in the Faculty of Arts & Science at the
University of Toronto invites applications for a full-time teaching
stream position in the area of Mathematics. The appointment will be at
the rank of Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream with an anticipated
start date of July 1, 2024, or shortly thereafter.

Applicants must have earned a PhD degree in Mathematics or a related
area by the time of appointment, or shortly thereafter, with a
demonstrated record of excellence in teaching. We seek candidates whose
teaching interests complement and enhance our existing departmental
strengths. Candidates must have teaching experience in a degree granting
program, including lecture preparation and delivery,  curriculum
development, and development of course material/lectures, and
supervision of teaching assistants.

Additionally, candidates must have a demonstrated interest in
teaching-related scholarly activities, have a record of active
professional development and a demonstrated commitment to excellent
pedagogical inquiry, which may include (but is not limited to)
participation in pedagogical training, courses and conferences,
developing novel curricula, pedagogical, or co-curricular techniques;
leading undergraduate research programs; leading outreach or equity,
diversity and inclusion (EDI) initiatives; and developing and sharing
mathematical education tools. Candidates must also demonstrate the
capacity to teach a wide variety of upper and lower-year courses.
Additional leadership, organizational, and mentoring experience will be
weighted favourably, with an emphasis on skills required to lead large
courses with multiple lecture sections, instructors, and teaching
assistants.

Evidence of excellence in teaching, record of active professional
development and commitment to excellent pedagogical inquiry can be
demonstrated through a full teaching dossier including i) a teaching
statement, ii) sample course materials developed by the candidate, iii)
teaching evaluations, iv) evidence of scholarly activities and teaching
accomplishments submitted as part of the application; and at least 3
strong letters of reference from referees of high standing. Candidates
are also expected to show evidence of a commitment to equity, diversity,
inclusion, and the promotion of a respectful and collegial learning and
working environment demonstrated through the application materials.

Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.

Note: Teaching stream appointments include a probationary review and
continuing status review. Upon successful reviews, the teaching stream
faculty member will hold continuing status at the University. For more
information, see teaching stream continuing status review
<https://www.aapm.utoronto.ca/academic-administrative-procedures-manual/reviews/continuing-status-review-teaching-stream/>.

Application materials for the position must be submitted online through
Mathjobs https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/list/23526. It must include a
cover letter summarizing the important aspects of your application; a
curriculum vitae; a teaching dossier which includes a teaching
statement, sample syllabi and course materials, and teaching
evaluations; the AMS Standard Cover Sheet; and at least three letters of
reference (on letterhead, dated, and signed) uploaded to MathJobs
directly by the writers.

We seek candidates who value diversity and whose teaching and service
align with our commitment to equity. Candidates are therefore also asked
to submit a 1- to 2-page statement of contributions to equity and
diversity, which might cover topics such as (but not limited to):
teaching that incorporates a focus on underrepresented communities, the
development of inclusive pedagogies, or the mentoring of students from
underrepresented groups.

All application materials, including reference letters, must be received
by the closing date, November 20, 2023.

For questions about this position, please contact:
mathjobs at math.utoronto.ca.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority.

*Diversity Statement*
The University of Toronto embraces Diversity and is building a culture
of belonging that increases our capacity to effectively address and
serve the interests of our global community. We strongly encourage
applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black and racialized persons,
women, persons with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual and
gender identities. We value applicants who have demonstrated a
commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that
diverse perspectives, experiences, and expertise are essential
to strengthening our academic mission.

*Accessibility Statement*
The University strives to be an equitable and inclusive community, and
proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members. Our
values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering
commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our academic mission.

The University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for
Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). As such, we strive to make our
recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as
possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with
disabilities.

If you require any accommodations at any point during the application
and hiring process, please contactuoft.careers at utoronto.ca.

This employment posting is among those listed in the Careers section of
the CMS website:
https://cms.math.ca/careers