[cmath] Distinguished Women in Mathematics Colloquium

Alexandra McSween alex at cms.math.ca
Mon Mar 7 14:54:07 EST 2022

The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of
Ottawa is proud to host Prof Christiane Rousseau (Montreal) for the
annual Distinguished Women in Mathematics Colloquium. The colloquium
takes place on Friday March 11 at 3:45. You are all invited to join the
presentation online (information below).

Title: The equivalence problem in analytical dynamics

Abstract: A central problem in local dynamics is the equivalence
problem: when are two analytic systems locally equivalent under an
analytic coordinate change? In the neighborhood of a singular point,
the representatives of the equivalence classes could be given by normal
forms. But, most often, the coordinate changes to the normal form
diverge. Why does this happen? What does this mean? The unfolding of
singularities reveals geometric obstructions to convergence to the
normal form. In this talk, we discuss a class of singularities and
their unfoldings for which we can provide moduli spaces for equivalence
problems. We explain the common geometric features of these
singularities, and how the study of the unfolding of these
singularities allows us to understand both the singularities
themselves, and the obstructions to the existence of analytic
coordinate changes to the normal form.

You are invited to a Zoom meeting.
When: Mar 11, 2022 15:30 Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting:

https://uottawa-ca.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0vf-upqDsrHdJlU2UWWXKvH56pHZk8_FFq

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.