[cmath] Last chance - Hamilton Lecture 2021 with Caroline Series 15 October at 19:00 IST

Zishad Lak awards-prizes at cms.math.ca
Thu Oct 14 07:17:47 EDT 2021

The Royal Irish Academy presents

The Hamilton Lecture 2021,

‘Glimpses into Hyperbolic Geometry’

by Professor Caroline Series, University of Warwick

Every year the Royal Irish Academy and the Maths community around
Ireland celebrates Hamilton Day;

/Hamilton Day commemorates a ground-breaking discovery by one of
Ireland’s most famous scientists. On 16 October 1843, William Rowan
Hamilton discovered quaternion algebra while walking along the Royal
Canal from Dunsink Observatory to the Royal Irish Academy. This was one
of those very rare Eureka moments in the history of science. So excited
was he by his discovery that he scratched his equation on the wall of
Broome Bridge, Cabra./

This year we are delighted to have famous mathematician Professor
Caroline Series FRS, University of Warwick, giving a*free online
lecture*on ‘Glimpses into Hyperbolic Geometry’. The lecture will be
accessible to all and viewers will have a chance to submit a question to
the chair.

Friday, 15 October 2021 at 19:00 (UTC+1)

Register now for this free online event:ria.ie/events
<https://www.ria.ie/hamilton-lecture-2021-glimpses-hyperbolic-geometry>

Professor Series will deliver this online lecture live from Trinity
College Dublin. Professor Martin Mathieu, MRIA, Queen’s University
Belfast will chair the lecture and Q&A session.

‘Glimpses into Hyperbolic geometry’

It is some two hundred years since the discovery of non-Euclidean or
hyperbolic geometry; geometry in which the angles in a triangle sum to
less than two right angles. Hyperbolic geometry has seen great flowering
in the last forty years, bringing it right into the mainstream of
mathematics. We offer some glimpses into these developments, in
particular some astonishingly beautiful computer graphics.

/Organised by the Physical, Chemical and Mathematical Sciences Committee.///

/Sponsored by*Ibec*and*the Irish Times*./

The Academy is subject to the FOI Act 2014, the Data Protection Acts
1988-2003 and 2018, GDPR (EU 2016/679) and S.I. No. 336/2011, EC Privacy
& Electronic Communications Regulations. For further information see our
website www.ria.ie/privacy-and-data-protection

Erik Hughes​
Senior Executive Assistant,Programmes and Administration
Royal Irish Academy – Ireland's leading body of experts in the sciences
and humanities
19 Dawson Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. Tel: +353 1 6762570 www.ria.ie
<http://www.ria.ie/>