[cmath] AWM/MfA 2022 Essay Contest

Johanna Franklin Johanna.N.Franklin at hofstra.edu
Mon Oct 11 14:21:17 EDT 2021

The Association for Women in Mathematics and Math for America cosponsor an
essay contest each year for students in three categories: Grades 6-8,
Grades 9-12, and Undergraduate. Contestants interview a woman in a
mathematical career about her life and work, and then they write and submit
a biographical essay based on their interview. You can find out more at
https://awm-math.org/awards/student-essay-contest/: contest rules, an FAQ,
submission instructions, etc.

*If you know a student in one of these categories:* We'd love to read their
essay (and their friends' essays, and their siblings' essays, and...).
Please encourage them to enter!

*If you're a woman working in/retired from a mathematical career:* Please
share this with the students you know, and if you would be willing to be
interviewed yourself, please fill out the Google Form at the bottom of the
website mentioned above. This would require a time commitment of about an
hour, probably between November and January.

*If you're a mathematically inclined professional:* Please share this with
the students you know! If you're interested in serving as a judge for some
of the essays, please e-mail Dr. Johanna Franklin at
johanna.n.franklin at hofstra.edu. This would require a time commitment of a
couple of hours in February.

Submissions will open on December 1, but of course students can conduct
their interviews and write their essays before that -- we know it can be
hard to interview a mathematician and write an essay over the holidays.

Thank you for reading, and please contact me with any questions you have!

~Johanna Franklin
AWM Essay Contest Committee Chair

~~~~~
Johanna Franklin