[cmath] Workshop on Making Models: Stimulating Research in Rigidity Theory and Spatial-Visual Reasoning

Alan Kelm akelm at cms.math.ca
Wed Apr 16 12:17:14 EDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce a Workshop on Making Models: Stimulating Research in Rigidity Theory and Spatial-Visual Reasoning, August 5 – 9, 2014, hosted by The Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences, Toronto, Ontario, Canada*.**
*
On behalf of the organizing committee, we invite submissions for Poster Presentations in discrete geometry (rigidity theory) and/or spatial-visual reasoning research.  We are seeking abstracts of up to 500 words that briefly describe the context, research questions, goals and findings of your work.  We especially encourage submissions from new scholars, post-doctoral fellows, and graduate students.  The deadline for submission of abstracts is June 1, 2014.

Information regarding registration, housing, and current program can be found at the event website: http://www.fields.utoronto.ca/programs/scientific/14-15/making_models/

The overarching aim of the workshop is to promote research that examines or directly uses visual-spatial approaches in mathematics.  The event is planned in two parts, with three days focused on research in discrete geometry and rigidity theory (August 5-7), and two days focused on educational research in spatial-visual reasoning (August 8-9).   A variety of sessions have been planned to support and foster on-going research and collaborations, including discussion groups, problem sessions, model-making seminars, panel discussions, as well as research talks by Walter Whiteley (York University), David Henderson (Cornell University) and Nora Newcombe (Temple University), among others.  These sessions will combine to provide an opportunity to identify and address important questions in both discrete geometry and education research, with some attention toward how the two communities can support one another.

We appreciate your interest, and request that you send your abstracts to Elissa Ross (discrete geometry topics: eross2 at wpi.edu) or Ami Mamolo (education topics: ami.mamolo at uoit.ca).

We look forward to hearing from you!