[cmath] new Canadian Rep to ICMI

Peter Taylor peter.taylor at queensu.ca
Tue Jun 21 15:39:05 EDT 2011

This note is to let everyone know that my term as
Canadian representative to ICMI has ended and I
am delighted to welcome Frédéric Gourdeau of
Université Laval to be the new
representative.  Frédéric’s term will run until
the end of December 2014.  I must say I have felt
honoured to serve in this capacity as Canada has
always been an active and highly regarded
contributor to the global mathematics education
community (and of course in this regard I must
mention Bernard Hodgson’s 11-year tenure as Secretary-General of ICMI).

Just to expand on this contribution, there are
already many Canadians on the program for ICME-12 next summer in Seoul.
<http://www.icme12.org/>http://www.icme12.org/
First, Bernard will give a Plenary Lecture on the
Evolution of Math Education from the point of view of ICMI.

Secondly, Canada will have (so far) four regular lecturers:
Brent Davis
Frédéric Gourdeau
Luis Radford
Yvan Saint Aubin

Thirdly, several of us are associated with Topic Study Groups:
Miroslav Lovric
Viktor Freiman
Egan Chernoff
Stéphane Cyr
Christine Suurtamm
Andy Liu
Lesley Cormack

Gosh I hope I didn’t miss anyone.  But there will
be more updates, and of course the Discussion Groups are still being formed.

Quite apart from the international scene, I never
stop marveling at how wonderful Canada is as a
country to live and work in, and, in particular
(having just come from CMS and CMESG) how vibrant
is its mathematics education community.  Having
said that it is a challenging (but extremely
interesting!) time to be in the education business.  Keep dancing everyone! :-)
peter

Peter Taylor
Professor
Dept Math&Stats