[cmath] ICIAM 2011 eNewsletter - June 20, 2011

MITACS Director director at mitacs.ca
Mon Jun 20 13:12:31 EDT 2011

Good afternoon,

As we enter the home stretch toward ICIAM 2011, we hope your travel planning and other preparations are going well!
Advance online registration for the Congress is now closed. Those who have not yet registered but wish to attend can register on site at the meeting.
We continue on our series of highlights from the scientific program:
In the theme on Environmental Science, Michael Ghil (École normale supérieure de Paris, France, and University of California Los Angeles, USA) will focus on a topic of great relevance today: climate modeling and prediction. The talk will explore the mathematical causes of climate sensitivity through the application of random dynamical systems (RDS) theory. The theory allows the study of random attractors of nonlinear, stochastically perturbed systems and time-dependent invariant measures that are supported by these attractors.
In the Mathematical Physics thematic panel, Matthew Hastings (Microsoft Research, USA) will explain the challenges of communication over quantum channels including classical and quantum information, with the use of entangled or unentangled inputs and measurements, as well as recent research in additivity of capacity in these systems. The theme will also feature a minisymposium organized by Michael Loss (Georgia Institute of Technology, USA), outlining some of the current problems and solutions in mathematical physics.
Benedetto Piccoli (Rutgers University, USA) will highlight the Control Theory and Applications theme with his talk, Multiscale and Heterogeneous Models for Traffic Flow and Crowd Dynamics. The lecture will give an overview of continuous models for traffic flow, which not only help in the study and control of vehicular traffic, but also have applications in other areas such as supply chains and data networks. In the same theme, Jean-Pierre Puel (Universite de Versailles, France) will organize a minisymposium presenting recent progress on controllability and inverse problems.
 In the theme on Graphics, Visualization and Computation, Rudiger Westermann (Technische Universität München, Germany) will discuss recent advances in fluid and elastic body simulation using multigrid finite element methods. These methods embed adaptive element refinements and topological changes of the simulation grid into geometric multigrid solvers and achieve high computational efficiency.
The Design and Verification of Complex Systems theme will feature invited speaker Andrea Bertozzi
(University of California Los Angeles, USA), who will talk about the dynamics of particle-laden viscous fluids in the context of the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill. The talk will address modeling and mathematical challenges related to dynamical interactions of fluids and particulates in particle-oil mixtures that result from such spills. Abul Hasan Siddiqi (Sharda University, India) will organize a minisymposium in the same theme, titled, Applications of Wavelet Methods to Meteorology and Oil Exploration. The minisymposium will discuss wavelet tools and techniques used to study issues related to the oil industry, meteorology, climate change and medical signals, in addition to inverse problems and data mining.
This is just a sampling of all the exciting scientific talks and symposia the Congress will have to offer. Please view the entire program<http://www.iciam2011.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=53> for a complete listing.
As we look forward to welcoming you to ICIAM 2011, we want to express our special thanks to our sponsors, without whom this meeting would not be possible. Our sponsors include technology and research organizations, publishing companies, math societies and institutes, universities and government labs, who have offered their generous support toward the success of the Congress. Please find a complete list of sponsors here<http://www.iciam2011.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=50>.
And don't forget to check out www.iciam2011.com<http://www.iciam2011.com> for much more.

Best wishes,

Arvind Gupta

President, ICIAM 2011