[cmath] termination of funding to Erwin Schroedinger Institute

Jacques Hurtubise jacques.hurtubise at mcgill.ca
Mon Nov 8 20:22:41 EST 2010

I have also written a letter on behalf of the CMS, in much the same vein; others should of course join in.

Jacques HUrtubise

On 08/11/10 15:33, "Edward Bierstone" <bierston at fields.utoronto.ca> wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Following is a letter that we have sent to the Austrian Minister of
Science and Research, Dr. Beatrix Karl, about termination of funding
to the Erwin Schroedinger Institute (ESI) in Vienna.

ESI's survival is threatened by the loss of funding. The European
Mathematical Society is organizing a broad response, and is asking
mathematicians around the world to help. If you wish to express
support for continued funding (and indeed for the existence) of ESI,
please write urgently to the minister responsible:

Dr. Beatrix Karl
Federal Minister of Science and Research
Minoritenplatz 5, A-1014 Vienna
Email: beatrix.karl at bmwf.gv.at

Thank you very much,
Alejandro Adem
Edward Bierstone
Nassif Ghoussoub
Peter Russell

> Dr. Beatrix Karl
> Federal Minister of Science and Research
> Minoritenplatz 5, A-1014 Vienna
> Austria
>
> Dear Dr. Karl,
>
> We are writing as Directors of the four federally-funded Canadian
> institutes for the mathematical sciences, to express our dismay at
> the termination by your Ministry of funding to the Erwin Schroedinger
> Institute (ESI).
>
> In less than twenty years, ESI has become one of the world's leading
> institutes for mathematics and physics, with impact far beyond its
> modest budget. ESI is part of an international network of institutes
> that have changed the ways that mathematics and physics are
> communicated, opening new opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration.
>
> ESI has helped re-establish a presence in world science that Austria
> historically enjoyed, and has become an irreplaceable recruitment
> tool for universities in Vienna.
>
> The closing of ESI will be a loss for world science and a greater loss
> for Austria. We strongly hope that the Ministry of Science and Research
> will reverse its sudden decision to stop funding ESI, and that a way can
> be found to enable ESI to continue its important work.
>
> Yours respectfully,
>
> Alejandro Adem, Director, Pacific Institute for the Mathematical
> Sciences, Vancouver
>
> Edward Bierstone, Director, Fields Institute for Mathematical Sciences,
> Toronto
>
> Nassif Ghoussoub, Director, Banff International Research Station,
> Banff
>
> Peter Russell, Directeur, Centre de recherches mathematiques, Montreal
>

> cc. Klaus Schmidt, President, ESI

- --
Edward Bierstone, Director             Phone 416 348 9710 ext. 2012
The Fields Institute                   Fax   416 348 9714
222 College Street, 2nd Floor          bierston at fields.utoronto.ca
Toronto ON Canada M5T 3J1              www.fields.utoronto.ca