[cmath] HTML5 and MathML: Internet Explorer 9 is Broken

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Thu Aug 26 11:13:05 EDT 2010

I have some good news and some bad news.

First, the good news is HTML5 includes MathML and has been embraced by
all browser vendors.

Now the bad news. MathML support is broken in IE9 and we see no evidence
that Microsoft will fix this problem unless they are made to understand
how important MathML support is to the STEM and education communities.
MathML is also an important key to insuring math accessibility to the
blind and sight-impaired, as well as those with certain learning
disabilities.

While we applaud Microsoft for promising to support HTML5 with Internet
Explorer 9, we hope that you will join us in encouraging them to fix the
small bug that is currently preventing MathML from working in HTML5
pages. Please publicize the issue with whatever resources you have:
personal blogs, tweets, forum posts, comments on other people's blog
posts, etc.

Read the whole story:
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/tech/MathMLinHTML5.htm.

Thanks,