[cmath] Science Education Postdoctoral Researcher: UBC Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative

R. Kuske, (Math Head) head at math.ubc.ca
Wed Feb 3 19:47:19 EST 2010

Science Education Postdoctoral Researcher
Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative

Online ad:  http://www.math.ubc.ca/Dept/deptJobs.shtml#CWSEI

The Department of Mathematics at the University of British Columbia
invites applications for at least one Postdoctoral researcher in the
UBC Mathematics Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative (MATH-CWSEI)
(http://www.cwsei.ubc.ca/), a multi-year program for study of and
innovation in science education.

We seek individuals to work with faculty teams in our department,
other science education postdocs, and CWSEI staff to develop and
coordinate mathematics courses and curriculum. Teams are developing
course and program level learning objectives, assessments, and
pedagogy; administer and evaluate assessments of student learning and
of student attitudes toward science; supervise and guide development
and testing of teaching and learning materials including IT learning
resources. Faculty teams are focusing on areas such as development of
assessment tools for proof skills throughout the curriculum, first
year calculus courses, interdisciplinary courses, and incorporating
IT-based resources across the curriculum.

Candidates should have: completed their Ph.D.; excellent
organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills, a strong
personal commitment to science education, an ability to work
independently and meet deadlines. English fluency is also required.
Experience in educational materials or curriculum development, on-
line teaching, project management, and familiarity with current
pedagogical research and IT learning resources at the post-secondary
level will be considered assets.

The appointment will be for six months initially, starting March 1,
2010, and may be renewable for up to 3 years at the postdoctoral level.
Applicants should submit a resume, statement of teaching interests,
and the names and complete contact information (including phone, fax
and e-mail) of three references to:
Department Head, Department of Mathematics,
121-1984 Mathematics Road,
Vancouver, BC, V6K 1T5,
daisley at math.ubc.ca
Review of applications will begin on February 20, and will continue
until the position is filled.

UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment
equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply; however,
Canadians and Permanent Residents of Canada will be given priority.
We strongly encourage candidates from under-represented groups to
apply, including women, visible minorities, people of aboriginal
origin, and people with disabilities.
The positions are subject to final budgetary approval. Salary and
title will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.