[cmath] Managing Editor, Mathematics - Pearson Canada

Alan Kelm akelm at cms.math.ca
Thu Apr 30 12:24:27 EDT 2009

Pearson is an international media company with world-leading businesses in
education, consumer publishing and business information, focusing on
education in the broadest sense of the word. It has more than 29,000
employees based in 60 countries, including 650 people in three locations
across Canada.

Pearson is home to many of the most respected and renowned publishing
brands, including Penguin, Viking, Prentice Hall, Addison Wesley, Allyn &
Bacon, and Longman. Our imprints have earned the trust of professionals,
educators, students, and general readers alike for our commitment to
quality, integrity and independence of thought. Through our Higher
Education, School, and Penguin divisions, Pearson Canada distributes and
publishes acclaimed fiction and nonfiction as well as leading educational
resources in print and digital formats across the full Canadian
curriculum. We are proud to publish bestselling and renowned Canadian
authors in literature and children's books, computers and business, as
well as elementary, secondary and postsecondary education. Our innovative
digital products, ranging from multimedia learning applications to
interactive media, have made us leaders in value-added technology.
www.pearsoncanada.ca

The School Division is recruiting for a Managing Editor, Mathematics.
This position reports to the Mathematics Publisher, and is based in the
Don Mills Office.

Responsibilities:

- Direct and monitor editorial development plans, schedules and budgets
   within specified disciplines.
- Work with development houses, authors, consultants, editors (freelance
   and in-house) and designers to create instructional materials that reflect the
   cutting edge of understanding the subject area and publishing technologies.
- Stay abreast of and understand emerging classroom and publishing
   technologies.
- Work with a network of contacts to identify, analyze and articulate product
   components and features.
- Anticipate curriculum and pedagogical trends in market and in competitors'
   products, proposing product responses.
- Understand program development and how to create innovative,
   well-differentiated products that meet customers' perceived and
   unarticulated needs.
- Hire and manage freelance editors, consultants, contributing authors
   etc., establishing work-for-hire agreements, overseeing payments and monitoring
   quality of work.
- Work with the Publisher, Creative Services and Business Manager to
   ensure accurate operating costs, P&Ls and business plans.
- Oversee the administrative requirements of the publishing plan,
   including project budgets, payments of materials and services, and issues
   related to rights.

Qualifications:

- University degree, preferably in mathematics and/or education.
- Knowledge of history, people, trends, issues that define the publishing
   program in K-12 Mathematics.
- Ability to manage people and projects and to provide leadership in a
   team environment.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Superior communication skills including writing, facilitation and
   presenting.
- 7-10 years publishing or product development experience, including
   hands-on editing.
- Understanding of curriculum-based resource development.
- Knowledge of current publishing and classroom technologies, as well as
   the ability to understand emerging technologies.

Candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter by May 26, 2009
to:

Jo Ann D'Souza, Human Resources Consultant
Pearson Canada
26 Prince Andrew Place
Don Mills, Ontario      M3C 2T8
Fax: (416) 447-0598
Email:  joann.dsouza at pearsoncanada.com

This employment position is among those listed in the Employment section
of the CMS website:
      http://cms.math.ca/Employment