[cmath] Unsuccessful Canadian bid for ICM 2014

Christiane Rousseau directrice at CRM.UMontreal.CA
Mon Apr 20 11:02:13 EDT 2009

At its executive meeting last Saturday, the Executive of the
International Mathematical Union
decided not to support the Canadian bid for ICM 2014. After long
deliberations, the EC
decided to support the bid of Korea.

Let me cite Laszlo Lovasz, the president of the IMU: "We received
three excellent applications, and the decision process was
difficult, in which many criteria were weighed. If you wish to know more
about the main issues influencing the decision, Marting Groetschel or I
are ready to give you more information.

We thank you very much for your offer to host the Congress and for
putting
together such an excellent bid."

Indeed, the community made an excellent bid. The Site Committee has
been very impressed by our community, the way we work together, and
also our creativity
for the congress itself. The following two links will show you that
the step was high:

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/
2009/04/21/200904210017.asp

http://www.kms.or.kr/eng/contents/news_list.asp#22

This bid could only help increase the international image of Canadian
mathematics at the internationl level.
We are very thankful to all of you for your help and/or support in
the preparation of this bid.

Christiane Rousseau, directrice
Centre de recherches mathématiques
Université de Montréal