[cmath] Changes at NSERC-Need a community response

Nassif Ghoussoub nassif at math.ubc.ca
Tue Sep 13 10:33:00 EDT 2005

Dear colleagues in the Canadian mathematical science community,

There are some major changes happening at NSERC, which will be affecting
the future of the funding of the math. sciences in Canada. Consultation
has been so far inadequate and I am asking our community and its
institutions to immediately initiate a "Liaison Committee" to coordinate
our response. This cannot wait till the Chairs meeting in November nor for
the CMS meeting in December.

Here are some of the "cataclysmic" changes, some background and my
personal opinion on these issues.

1. The reallocations exercise --as we know it-- has been cancelled. "NSERC
is now studying the possibility of devising a clearer, simpler process...
The new process will most likely be driven by more easily measurable
criteria, such as discipline dynamics (the variation over time in the
number of researchers applying for funding in a given discipline) and
possibly on the cost of research".

2. The 3 institutes (CRM, Fields and PIMS) and their funds will be moved
to a --revised-- MFA envelope (Major Facilities Access) where they will
compete with new (previously non-funded) proposals for institutes in other
disciplines.

3.  NSERC has postponed its decision on BIRS till the next MFA meeting in
April 2006 (15 months after our proposal was submitted and a full year
after the site visit). The Alberta government, the NSF and Mexico's
CONACYT have already committed full funding for the next 5 years (See
below).

Background:
---------------

1.  While the "cost of research" for other disciplines can be directly
measured in equipment, laboratories etc...our discipline's focus is
different and our community-based institutes are part of the equation. Our
other large-scale initiatives also need to be discussed: NPCDS and LSI
etc...

What I am advocating:

***The CRM, Fields and PIMS are as much part of the "Math Science envelope
at NSERC" as the Math Sci. GSCs. This is a well defined term  within the
realm of the past re-allocation exercise. This linkage should remain and
should be part of any new restructuring of the Research Grant envelopes.

2. The bulk of the Math institutes funding has been historically earned
through specific hard and bold choices made by the Canadian mathematical
community. When all other disciplines opted to roll-over their old
discipline-linked infrastructure grants into their GSC budgets,
Mathematics elected to keep the funds for the institutes. When most other
disciplines were concentrating their requests on their respective GSCs
budgets --through three consecutive reallocation exercises-- the
Mathematics and Statistics community were making the hard choices in
ear-marking some of their requests to the programmes of the institutes.

--With the previous re-allocation exercise, the institutes could not lose
more than 10% of their funding in any given 4-year cycle. In a competition
where many new previously non-funded institutes will be applying, our
institutes can lose up to 50% as early as 2007.

What I am advocating:

***Should the institutes be forced to compete in 2007 within the proposed
new MFA programme (MRR), then their current funds should be rolled-over
into the Math GSCs budgets (and the NPCDS into the Stats GSC's) as soon as
April 1, 2007. All institutes (old and new) will then compete on an equal
footing for the MRR funds, wherever these funds will be coming from.

3. BIRS has already received full funding for 2006-2010 from the Alberta
Government ($3,424,000), full funding from the National Science Foundation
($USD 2,641,500 to be coming directly to Canada-- which is a great
precedent for this country) and a groundbreaking contribution from Mexico
($550,000). In contrast to the clear position and  unwavering support of
the other partners, the decision of NSERC has been postponed till April
2006. This position of NSERC --which is damaging to BIRS, to the efforts
of our community, and to Canada's international image-- was directly
linked to these restructuring plans. Yet these plans will not be ready for
the 2006 competition, and BIRS is being forced to compete with at least
two newly proposed institutes (PITP and origins) in an envelope that even
NSERC staff acknowledges as not suitable for BIRS.

  What I am advocating:

***NSERC is to structure a new  programme/envelope that deals with truly
collaborative international projects such as BIRS--one that is flexible
enough to react to international partnerships and to adapt appropriately
to other countries timetables, evaluation procedures and their willingness
to invest in scientific research on Canadian soil.

Nassif Ghoussoub, FRSC
Scientific Director, Banff International Research Station
Distinguished University Scholar, University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z2
Canada
http://www.pims.math.ca/~nassif/