[cmath] International appeal regarding mathematician Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh

Graham Wright gpwright at cms.math.ca
Wed Mar 26 17:24:59 EDT 2008

Dear Colleagues:

Mathematicians in France have asked the CMS to assist in an international
appeal regarding Dr. Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh, a mathematician in Chad. On
February 3, 2008 he was abducted from his home by forces of the Chad government
and his family has heard nothing of him since then. The Société Mathématique de
France (SMF) and the Société de Mathématiques Appliquées et Industrielles are
co-sponsoring a petition demanding that the government of Chad publicly
disclose correct information on the whereabouts and condition of Dr. Ibni Oumar
Mahamat Saleh. The SMF website has provision for electronic signing of the
petition, a list of those who have signed to date, and extensive information on
the case:

http://smf.emath.fr/en/PetitionSaleh/documents

Dr. Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh has had a distinguished career in university and
public service in Chad, as chair of the mathematics department and later rector
of the Université de N'Djamena, and as a minister in two governments of Chad.
More recently he has been an opposition political leader. At the time of his
abduction, he had serious health problems, so there is concern about his health
and safety.

We invite all CMS members to read the information on the SMF website (at the
URL given above), and to sign the petition.

Christiane Rousseau, Chair, International Affairs Committee
Jon Thompson, Human Rights Officer

Update from M-F Roy of SMF, March 21, 2008

1. We had this morning 1345 signatories.

2. No reaction and no answer from the french or chadian authorities so far. We
are going to inform the two presidents of the increase in number of
signatories.

3. Many media gave information about our petition thanks to the Agence France
Presse dispatch. We do not have the complete list of these media. I have been
interviewed by Voice of America, it will be broadcasted today at lunch time in
Africa. For new signatories: messages on former initiatives are kept at
http://smf.emath.fr/PetitionSaleh/messages.cgi

4. A file about Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh and his disappearance can be found at
http://smf.emath.fr/PetitionSaleh/documents Do not hesitate to give this adress
in order to augment the number of signatories.

5. The international mathematical community takes initiatives, notable in
Canada and in US, as well as the french Academie des Sciences who has written
to Bernard Kouchner (french foreign affairs).

6. A source of information for following news about the face of Ibni Oumar
Mahamat Saleh is http://prisonniers-politiques.over-blog.com/

Have a good day

Marie-Francoise Roy

Mise  jour de M-F Roy of SMF, 21 mars 2008

Bonjour

1. Notre ptition avait recueilli ce matin 1345 signatures.

2. Nous n'avons eu aucune reaction et encore moins de reponse venues des
autorites francaises ou tchadiennes. Nous allons
informer les deux presidents par courriel du progres dans les signatures.

3. De nombreux media ont diffuse l'information concernant notre petition
grace a la depeche AFP du 15 mars. Nous n'en
connaissons pas la liste exhaustive. J'ai ete interviewe par La Voix de
l'Amrique pour diffusion ce midi en Afrique. Pour
les nouveaux signataires: un resume des actions precedentes peut etre
consulte sur
http://smf.emath.fr/PetitionSaleh/messages.cgi

4. Un dossier concernant Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh et son enlevement se
trouve en
http://smf.emath.fr/PetitionSaleh/documents. N'hesitez pas a diffuser
cette information pour augmenter le nombre des
signataires.

5. La communaute mathematique internationale se mobilise, notamment au
Canada et aux USA, ainsi que l'Academie des Sciences
francaise qui a ecrit a Bernard Kouchner.

6. Une ses sources d'information pour suivre l'actualite concernant le
sort d'Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh est
http://prisonniers-politiques.over-blog.com/

Bon courage

Marie-Francoise Roy