WebMath: Survey response

Pam Bishop bishopp at for.mat.bham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 22 04:55:22 EDT 2003

Can I take this opportunity to tell people on the list about a monthly series
that is published by the LTSN Maths, Stats & OR Network on computer-aided
assessment for mathematics.  The articles can be found via
http://ltsn.mathstore.gla.ac.uk/index.asp?cat=137

Two systems of particular relevance to Guillermo's enquiry are CUE and AIM.
Articles describing them can be found at
http://ltsn.mathstore.ac.uk/articles/maths-caa-series/apr2002/index.shtml
http://ltsn.mathstore.ac.uk/newsletter/feb2002/pdf/aim.pdf

CUE allows students to answer questions by entering equations and solving
problems step by step.  More details and a demo at http://www.calm.hw.ac.uk

AiM is built on top of the symbolic mathematics program Maple, and thus has a
rich understanding of mathematics built in. This allows it to randomize
questions in complex ways, detect correct answers given in unusual forms, trap
common errors and give intelligently tailored feedback and so on.  There is a
community of useres developing this system - see http://aimmath.sourceforge.net