WebMath: Survey

Guillermo Alzuru Guillermo.Alzuru at gactr.uga.edu
Thu Aug 21 10:39:17 EDT 2003

Hi all,

For years we (the Web Instructional Development department at University of
Georgia) have been creating equations using MATHTYPE to create the MATHML
code, then WebEQ to create applets. But it was not possible to truly test
students ability to solve math problems because they couldn't enter
equations, so all our tests were multiple choice, matching, etc, where you
actually provide the choices and all they had to do was pick the answers.

Recently WebCT included an equation editor which should allow students to
enter equations, which should be a great solution to this problem, but we're
hesitant to use it until it doesn't get a lot better and proves to work well.

I was wondering what other people at other institutions are doing to allow
students to answer questions by entering equations and solving problems step
by step.

Thanks a lot,

Guillermo