WebMath: standard notation for negative numbers? ALT 0150

Douglas Butler debutler at argonet.co.uk
Mon Jul 22 19:28:40 EDT 2002

> In a web page where you are faking the math,
> you are probably stuck using hyphen minus.

Not so - ANY font has a proper minus sign (en-dash) which can be inserted
anywhere as ALT 0150  eg –x (better than -x), though the distinction will
only be seen in this email if you are running in formatted text.

Likewise ALT 1076 for 45°, and ALT 0178 for x², and ALT 0179 for x³

VERY annoying that IE6 does not recognise the Unicode font extensions -
that single advance would solve 50% of MATH notation problems on the Web,
ie all math expressions that can be written as a single line of text.

--
Douglas Butler
iCT Training Centre (Oundle School), PO Box 46, Peterborough PE8 4JX, UK

-- Your message . .Robert Miner--