WebMath: standard notation for negative numbers?

Michael Gerard Richardson miker at nag.co.uk
Mon Jul 22 10:45:13 EDT 2002

higher than its normal position relative to other characters.
The "subtraction" sign is that normally produced by the "minus
key".

I believe that character 150 is (officially) undefined in HTML
- however, in a couple of browsers I tried, this was interpreted
as an ordinary minus sign.  The effect of a raised minus sign
could be approximated by character 175 but this should probably
not be encouraged, as this is officially a macron (a horizontal
line appearing above a letter).  A quick perusal of the Unicode
mathematical symbols lists did not yield a specific symbol for
"raised minus".

Mike