WebMath: standard notation for negative numbers?

Pam Bishop bishopp at for.mat.bham.ac.uk
Mon Jul 22 06:39:07 EDT 2002

Is there an international standard in notation for negative numbers?  One
enquirer has asked:

"Personally, I have been brought up differentiating between 'negative seven'
and 'subtract seven' through the former being a 'raised' sign compared with the
subtraction sign.  However, is this 'standard' world-wide or is there no agreed
standard?  I note on several web sites that often a raised sign is not used for
'negative' and a 'subtraction' sign is used instead.  However, I don't know
whether that is because that is standard in that country or whether they are
just being 'lazy' (also, of course, the issue of computers may make people not
bother using a raised sign as it is not as easy to produce on a computer as a
standard subtraction sign).  Of course, it may well be the case that there is
no standard at all."

Comments welcome - Pam

Pam Bishop, Assistant Director
LTSN Maths, Stats & OR Network
School of Mathematics and Statistics    p.bishop at bham.ac.uk
The University of Birmingham            tel 0121-414 4800
Birmingham  B15 2TT                     fax 0121-414 3389

The Maths, Stats & OR Network is part of the Learning and Teaching
Support Network, which provides discipline-based support for
learning and teaching in UK universities.

More information can be found at http://ltsn.mathstore.ac.uk