WebMath: MathML conf. report

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Tue Jul 2 18:21:48 EDT 2002

> I'm just back from the MathML conference

ditto:-)

>  If you want Mac users
> to be able to read your stuff, you're still out of luck: the style sheet
> doesn't include Mac browsers and there didn't appear to be much interest
> from those involved in *making* it include Mac browsers.

Just one clarification here. I am _very_ interested in making this work
on the Mac but the stylesheet itself doesn't do anything to render
MathML, it just chooses an available rendering system that it can
detect.  In the case of the Mac my understanding is that there is not
currently anything that really works well, so there's nothing the
stylesheet can do.

I know there has been a lot of interest getting mozilla for mathml on
the mac, and design science who make the mathplayer mathml extension for
IE have a public page saying they would like to have a mac version of
MathPlayer but the Mac version of IE does not have the interfaces
needed, so a Mac MathPlayer would require a new version of IE for teh
Mac from Microsoft.

I don't personally have easy access to a Mac (and, as I said in response
to your question at the meeting, I've never used one) but if _anyone_
does know of (or can help produce) a good plan for mathml on the mac the
working grouop would certainly be pleased to promote that, and if it can
be integrated with the XSLT stylesheet to work in a cross platform way
I'm more than happy to add whatever's needed...

However at the last MML conference 18 months ago, MathML couldn't be
easily be rendered in standard versions of any "standard" browser on any
platform although it was available in special mathml-builds of mozilla, and
in Amaya. Now at this MathML conference if you are on windows
or unix then all you need have is the latest version of internet
explorer, netscape, mozilla, and amaya, and you can easily view mathml
documents. I hope that we can be pleased with this progress even if
the Mac is lagging behind.

David