WebMath: RE: Mathematical text on the web

Andrew Solomon andrews at it.uts.edu.au
Sun Aug 26 21:23:43 EDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 01:18:31AM +0200, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Thanks for the invitation but my experience stopped at the .exe...
> Does NFS really fund projects that are M$ only ?

I agree Paul - it seems unfortunate to only support the commercially dominant
platform in a government funded project, but I think it is more harmful to
the Mathwright project than system openness.

First, there will be resistance to adoption due to the
need to maintain this software on individual machines - there
doesn't seem to be a server installation (but perhaps it is possible,
I'm no expert). The other problem is that it is quite a risk for a
teacher to tie their course development to a single platform unless they
also dictate school IT policy - particularly rare in larger schools.

Andrew