WebMath: RE: Mathematical text on the web

James White mathwrig at gte.net
Tue Jul 10 22:06:55 EDT 2001

	Some of you may be interested in the new Java version of Mathwright which
will make its debut at the end of this month at the MAA/NSF Project WELCOME
website.  Our authors (and our student readers) can create displayed
mathematical expressions fairly easily with an intuitive keyboard interface
(no metalanguage, no tables of special expressions).  To create an exponent,
you simply press "^" in the editor and it knows what to do -- even to resize
the exponents if they are nested several levels. To create an integral, you
simply type "int()"  and so on.  These expressions are active and editable,
and the edited expressions can be read and used for later computation by the
system.  Authors usually tie these Math Edit fields to other objects (data
tables, graph windows, etc.) through simple scripts created in our
MathScript language.

	Until this Summer, Mathwright has only been available as a downloadable
application.  In fact, you may check out some of our 154 WorkBooks at
http://www.mathwright.com  (The New Mathwright Library and Cafe).  The new
32-bit Java version of Mathwright plays these books in MSIE browsers
(version 4 or higher).  More ambitious web authors might like to take a look
at our Math Edit plugin, which is an ActiveX Control that enables anyone to
place mathematical text, ordinary text,  and/or pictures on their own web
pages.  The advantage of authoring in Mathwright to place the text on a web
page, within the context of mathematics scripting language and a variety of
display objects (2 and 3D graph windows, and so on) is obvious.  The text is
active and responsive, and so it provides a rich experience for the learner.

	Please feel free to visit the Library to see what others have done, and are
doing.  If what you see looks interesting, respond with questions from the
site, and we will try to answer them.

													Jim White