WebMath: ANN: Next Generation of Web Math Products

Paul Libbrecht paul at ags.uni-sb.de
Wed Jun 13 10:18:40 EDT 2001

This means no-one will ever hunt for the size problem...

For your information, the size problem is the need to compute the size of
a plugin or applet when you prepare the HTML page which is often before
knowing anything like the user's font size or window size...

When you read the  readiness statement of Microsoft about MathML it just
says... they're happy there are plugins and they have no intent of
providing support for MathML.

But MathML display without real embedding (i.e. requiring plugins and size
of plugins) is a despair at many levels: fixed font sizes is unavoidable,
no dynamically changing content size, and it forces folks who generate
MathML and HTML from other sources to compute the real size (which real ?)
of the MathML object before making the  HTML. The latter task is almost
equivalent to drawing a picture of the formula, a heavyweight task.
So for the servlet maker in me, this is pretty much a sad story as it will
mean Maple will probably never ever support any kind of real richer
content encoding (MathML is only good for first level math, as everyone
knows).

How semantic is the generated MathML from Maple ?
Were there successful attempts to generate MathML content that could be
delivered to other math systems ?

Paul