WebMath: Directions for WebMath

Frank Walton frank.walton at LETHBRIDGECOLLEGE.AB.CA
Tue Oct 10 18:45:35 EDT 2000

Hi June. All of those ideas sound fine. I currently have a math course
completely online and 4 that run f2f that I support using the web. My
workload as a result of presenting information via the web and supporting
student questions etc. is up substantially! Oh well .... As a result I am
not near as active on this list as I should be.

I've started using a MIMIO board to post lecture notes etc. to the web as
soon as possible, usually the same day. Students see a review of the day's
material when they logon that evening. It works pretty well but it does take
a little time. I haven't seen a remarkable increase in grades so I really
can't say if it's worth it. A few students have applauded my efforts so I
guess I'm going in the right direction.

Frank.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-webmath at camel.math.ca [mailto:owner-webmath at camel.math.ca]On
Behalf Of June Lester
Sent: October 9, 2000 8:21 PM
To: webmath at camel.math.ca
Subject: WebMath: Directions for WebMath

WebMath folks -

I started this list over a year ago for "any and all aspects of math on the
web", in anticipation that technology to produce online mathematical text
(MathML) would be available "soon", creating a surge of interest and
activity geared to putting all sorts of mathematics online.  MathML has
been slower out the gate than anticipated, though other types of online
mathematics (graphers, calculators, CASs, applets, interactive geometry ...
) and instructional materials based on them continue to be developed and
deployed.

A question to all list members: what would you like to see or see more of
discussed on this list?  What would you like to hear more about?  Who would
you like to hear more from?

I can think of some possibilities:

* experiences people have had with putting math courses online (technical,
logistical, pedagogical ... )

* existing technologies for producing online math text (information,
advice, reviews, ... )

* technologies for producing online graphs, geometry, calculators or other
online math interactivity (applets, Flash/Shockwave, javascript, ...)

* product announcements/information from companies developing software
packages that can output online math (CASs, interactive geometry packages,
... )

* information from publishers of online mathematics materials (e.g.
companion websites for textbooks, other teaching materials) or evaluations
of these materials

* discussions of online math pedagogy/instructional design (given the
technology, how do we design effective online mathematics with it?)

* information about conferences on online mathematics (e.g. the MathML
conference)

* information about research projects, proposals, etc. for developing
online math

* references to other sources of information on online math

Are there other topics that you'd find interesting/useful? Any specific
organizations or individuals you'd like to hear from?  Any experiences,
information or hard-won knowledge you'd like to contribute yourself?

Your WebMath host,

June