WebMath: IBM techexplorer

June Lester jalester at cecm.sfu.ca
Sat Jul 22 16:50:21 EDT 2000

Hi, folks.  IBM has recently released a new version of techexplorer
(announcement below) - the chief virtue of which is, from my standpoint, a
Mac version, making deployment of cross-platform projects possible.

Has anyone on the list had much experience with authoring for techexplorer?
I. like probably most people on this list, am looking for a useable way to
put math  text on the web.  My first impression is that techexplorer is not
very user friendly unless you just want to port TeX/LatTeX pages to the web
and enhance them.  I'd rather use it to put math into HTML pages, since I
want to put other non-TeX stuff into those pages as well and format/edit
them easily.  But I still need some *workable* way to create and insert the
math in largish quantities - recommendations for an authoring tool, anyone?
Preferably one that runs on a Mac?

June

IBM techexplorer is a plug-in for Navigator and Internet
Explorer as well as an ActiveX control for applications
like Microsoft PowerPoint and Word. techexplorer enables
the display of TeX, LaTeX and MathML documents and the
publishing of interactive scientific material on the Web.

Version 3.0 PR 1 includes full support for MathML 1.01,
augmented display of LaTeX, and new ways to enliven
techexplorer documents via C++, Java, JavaScript, the
DOM, and a web-based equation editor.

The Introductory Edition of IBM's techexplorer Hypermedia
Browser Version 3.0 Preview Release 1 is now available for
Windows 95/98/NT, Macintosh, Linux on Intel, AIX, Solaris
and SGI! New to version 3.0 PR 1 is a Macintosh version
and a 10-day trial download of the Professional Edition.

For more details and the no-charge downloads, see
http://www.ibm.com/software/techexplorer.

Please send all questions to techexpl at us.ibm.com.