WebMath: a few reminders

June Lester jalester at cecm.sfu.ca
Thu Jun 29 02:19:46 EDT 2000

WebMath folks - a few reminders, etc.

1.  Viruses.  If, as happened yesterday, I receive notification of a virus
in a message posted to the list, I will inform list members as soon as I am
aware of it.  We are looking into ways of filtering out any infected posts
in the future, but until that happens (and even if it does happen), you are
responsible for your own computer "hygiene".  This means that you should be
aware that viruses can come with *any* email, even from people you know
well, and you should take steps to detect and remove them (i.e. with the
appropriate software).

Other than the initial warning, further discussion of the virus on the list
is inappropriate - it should be conducted off-list (violated that one
myself yesterday by accident :o(  ) or if necessary, directly with me.  We
lost five subscribers yesterday, most likely as a result of the virus
discussion.

2.  Please note that that hitting "reply" to a WebMath post replies to the
*whole list*, not just to the individual poster.  If your reply is more
appropriately sent to the individual, please change the "To:..." line.
Also, if you're going on vacation and set your emailer to send automatic
"I'm away" replies, please sign off the list temporarily at
<http://camel.math.ca/cgi-bin/wcms/webmath.pl>. Otherwise, your vacation
message goes out to annoy the whole list each time a new post is made.

3.  Inappropriate posts:
	*  "me, too" posts ,including "please send your stuff to me too"
posts (these should go to the original poster only)
	*  posts with attachments, vcf cards or anything except straight
ascii text. If you've got something to show people, ask them to request it
directly from you, or put it on the web and post the URL.
	*  posts which quote the whole of the previous discussion.  Please
strip out everything except relevant part you're replying to - we've all
seen the previous discussion already, remember.  Also, please strip out
*all* footers.  The system adds a footer to each post, so a continued
discussion accumulates multiple copies of the footer unless they are
removed.

4.  If you want to be removed from the list, you can remove yourself at
<http://camel.math.ca/cgi-bin/wcms/webmath.pl>.  If for any reason this
doesn't work, please contact me directly at <owner-webmath at camel.math.ca> -
*don't* post you request to the list.  The same holds for all other list
administrivia - directly to me, please.

I think that's about it for now - any questions?  No, no, don't hit reply!
Send 'em directly to me! :o)

Cheers,

June