WebMath: WARNING: virus-infected post

Andrew Solomon andrew at illywhacker.net
Tue Jun 27 21:22:38 EDT 2000

Dear Jimmy,

I had a look at the virus - not closely enough to determine what it will do,
but enough to see that it is a javascript. So, you should be safe
if your mailer doesn't automatically execute javascript in mail messages.

Looking at your email message, it seems like you're using Netscape or Mozilla,
and I think the default is for them *not* to execute javascript in mail messages,
so you should be ok.

To check this, go to edit->Preferences->Advanced and it will
hopefully not have the "Enable javascript for mail and news" box checked.

Best of luck,

Andrew

p.s I also got the impression that the virus was most hostile to Windows users,
but I can't be sure and can't check, since I've deleted it.

--
PIMS/MITACS
Simon Fraser University