WebMath: MathML in Mozilla: Progress Report

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 14:02:16 EDT 2000

> Which surely raises the question:
> Will a Production version of mozilla ever be released (with MathML) ?

Mozilla certainly but if by `production version' you mean netscape
that basically depends on AOL, so who knows:-) I would expect so,
as discussed on the status page that was mentioned, the mathml group
have had a lot of help from the core mozilla coders changing things so
mathml can hook in, so eventually it'll go in I expect. I think the fact
that currently it doesn't work on Macs is a barrier to it going in the
first netscapes.  But `netscape' is only really a political acceptnce
issue, you can always use mozilla. Also there was some discussion on the
mozilla newsgroup of whether you'd be able to take a standard netscape
and update some of the libraries with mathml enabled ones. (not sure of
the outcome of that, people seemed to think it would be technically
possible if it didn't break any licences that netscape finally use)

David
(no connection with mozilla at all except I follow their newsgroup
occasionally)