WebMath: Math presentation software and translators

Jeremy Boden jeremy at jboden.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 16:56:22 EST 2000

In message <1F65B84ED796D3119307009027DE0A51B5E819 at pikespeak.ecollege.co
m>, Douglas Curran-Everett <dougce at ecollege.com> writes
>Dear All,
>
>I have done quite a bit of statistical teaching and writing but in print
>only.  I use LaTeX and am investigating the possibilities of getting
>math/stats up on the Web.
>
>I have a couple questions:
>
>       What software do you all use for mathematical publishing?
>       By what means do you all get mathematics on the Web?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Regards,
>Doug Curran-Everett, PhD

When it comes to putting maths on the web, it's been pretty poor for
some time. Some people turn every non-ascii symbol into a graphic - but
this has big problems for many users as it relies on both you and them
running their browsers at about the same window sizes (and resolutions).

Since you use Latex, you could either provide simplified Latex and let
the user utilise the techexplorer plugin, or provide .dvi or postscript
segments which could be saved or displayed. .pdf files would be a good
if rather expensive option.

Soon (!) MathML will start to become available on the major browsers and
ought to be the way to things in the future.

Probably some rather tacky combination of several methods will be
necessary for the immediate future.

--
Jeremy Boden