WebMath: math text on the web

James Denholm-Price J.Denholmprice at tesco.net
Fri Sep 3 04:55:33 EDT 1999

I've primarily used Adobe PDF for distributing mathematical documents on the
web, converting LaTeX -> PostScript -> PDF with GhostScript.

This method is pretty easy, results in printable, hi-res. documents but the
files are a bit bulky! Also, with Ghost only the default PostScript fonts
are printed as fonts (Times etc.) -- all CM fonts etc. from LaTeX are
vectors, take up more space & are slower to display. I imagine Adobe's
Acrobat software is a better wasy of generating PDF, perhaps working with
Word & En Ed., but I much prefer LaTeX for mathematical notation!

I've also experimented with LaTeX2HTML (my notes are written mainly in
LaTeX) and like it a lot, however my notes are designed to be printed rather
than displayed & read online, so PDF is a better solution, thus far.

Awaiting MathML! Have seen it demo'd in IE5 and it looks very promising for
display purposes.

James