WebMath: using online math tools

Alan Cooper acooper at langara.bc.ca
Sat Jul 24 21:58:56 EDT 1999

As the author of an applet which does just what you describe
(see
http://www.langara.bc.ca/mathstats/resource/GraphExplorer/index.htm    )
I agree that there are many ways we can use such tools (either web-based
applets or CAS's) to enhance student understanding and overcome difficulties.

 'Custom animation' is an important addition to our capabilities in this
regard. It can help a student to develop a better intuition for the process of
rescaling - especially when the end views look dramatically different, as well
as allowing a more "hands on" sense of the process of curve fitting - either to
data, or eg as in the definition of e by tangency to 1+x at x=0. Although the
animation may not actually add to the content, it may provide visual clues that
help to trigger understanding in some students (though admittedly there's a
trade off against exercise of the imagination). In this connection I also think
that it is important for us to design interfaces to our tools that give the
user an opportunity to involve kinesthetic as well as visual sensation. The
various "grab and rotate" 3D graphers and VRML are of course good examples of
this.

With regard to your question about what skills we should test, there are a
number of alternatives to the traditional(?) sketch the graph of f(x)=...
question.
Some that we have found effective are:

Sketch the graph of a function with the following properties...
(eg f'=0 at.. ,f''<0 in..., etc)

The graph of ... produced by ..(aCAS) appears to have a local max.   Determine
the exact coordinates of that point.

A question type which can be used to test the student's skill in effectively
using a CAS or graphing applet would be to ask for a complete description of a
graph of a function whose behaviour cannot be shown in a single standard
picture eg where there is substantially different non-trivial behaviour on
dramatically different scales (such examples are not unrealistic - they occur
frequently in various areas of mathematical physics)

Alan