[grad-students] Canadian Undergraduate Mathematics Conference 2012 - registration now open

CMS Student Committee studc-announcements at cms.math.ca
Thu Mar 22 13:25:43 EDT 2012

***Please distribute widely to undergraduate and graduate students***
***We sincerely apologize for cross-postings***

To all those who share a passion for math! Registration is now open for
the 2012 Canadian Undergraduate Mathematics Conference (CUMC), which is
being held at the University of British Columbia’s Okanagan campus from
July 11th to 15th.

If you have not heard of the CUMC before, now is your opportunity to get
on board with Canada’s premier undergraduate mathematics conference. If
you have heard of the CUMC, now is the time to get excited to attend the
conference!

The CUMC provides a great experience for undergraduate students, as it
gives you a chance to attend a national conference where you can gain
confidence in presenting, and it gives you the opportunity to network
and share ideas with others who share your passion. The conference
strives to bring together the diversity that underlies mathematics, and
includes participants from fields as widespread as pure math, applied
math, physics, economics, statistics, computer science, mathematical
finance, and beyond. Any student in a mathematics related field is
invited and encouraged to attend and give a talk.

We hope that you will talk to other students and your professors about
this conference and the exciting opportunities it offers for
undergraduate students of all levels. We would love to see you and a
group of your friends, and maybe even a favorite professor, attend the
conference this year. Remember, you are invited to give a talk, but are
also welcome to simply attend and learn from others. If you are not
involved in research, you’re invited to talk about whatever you are
passionate about in regards to mathematics. You may choose to talk about
a particular aspect of mathematics that you find interesting, a proof
you enjoy working through, a historical aspect of the evolution of
mathematics, or any other mathematics topic you wish to share. You will
encounter many new topics from these presentations, and will have the
opportunity to both give and receive feedback from your peers. The CUMC
is a non-competitive forum for building connections between students of
all levels and backgrounds and aims for diversity in its presenters. In
fact, the three core principles of the conference are bilingualism,
non-competitiveness, and regional diversity.

The conference also features renowned keynote speakers from a variety of
disciplines. These keynote speakers who are invited to the CUMC are
either prominent research figures or rising stars in their fields, and
most importantly are people who care about undergraduate students and
their exposure to mathematics.

This is the largest conference of its kind in North America, and we hope
that you will get involved and join others from across the country.
Everyone attending will leave with new experiences, new understanding,
new ideas, and a new passion for mathematics!

For further information on the conference, please visit our website at
cumc.math.ca or contact us with any questions at cumc.2012 at ubc.ca.

Sincerely,

The CUMC 2012 Organizing Committee