[grad-students] Winter school in pure and applied mathematics (fwd)

Alan Kelm akelm at cms.math.ca
Tue Nov 3 12:39:15 EST 2009

Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:05:57 -0500 (EST)
From: olga at math.mcgill.ca
Subject: [cmath] Winter school in pure and applied mathematics

Winter school in pure and applied math

We are collecting applications from Canadian and US last year
undergraduate and master's students to participate in the Winter 2010
school in Pure and Applied Mathematics to be held January 8-10 at McGill
University (Montreal, Canada). Attending the school can be a very
motivating and exciting experience for a student. We will pay your travel
and arrange accommodation. The application should be submitted by e-mail
and should include the following:

Non-official transcript, Academic statement. (Applicants should submit a
statement of no more than one page outlining their general academic
interests). It would help if you submit one letter of recommendation from
some of your professors (in a sealed and signed envelope or sent by
e-mail). In addition we will have a poster project competition. The aim of
this weekend winter school is to familiarize last year students with
trends in modern mathematics and with research at McGill and in Montreal.
The following McGill mathematics professors have agreed to give one-hour
lectures.

Louigi Addario-Berry: Probabilistic Combinatorics
Henri Darmon: TBA (Number theory)
Eyal Goren: "Equations over finite fields, 24-dimensional lattices, and
rovers on Mars"
Tony Humphries:
"Lattices, Travelling Waves, and Differential equations with retarded and
advanced arguments"
Dmitry Jakobson: "Spectral theory, geometry and dynamical systems."
Vojkan Jaksic: "Modern Mathematical Physics"
Olga Kharlampovich: "Geometric and asymptotic group theory"
Alexei Miasnikov: "Group Theory, complexity, probability, cryptography"
Gantamur Tsogtgerel: TBA
Adrian Vetta: "Game theory"

Graduate students from Montreal are welcome to participate (and to present
posters).

Participants will arrive Thursday, Jan 7 or Friday Jan 8(rooms will be
booked by the organizers for each funded participant). The workshop will
begin Friday at 1 p.m. We will have two lectures on Friday, then go to the
Colloquium at UQAM (or run the colloquium at McGill with one of our
professors speaking). Then we all will go to Saint Sauveur (a nice ski
place on the North of Montreal) and continue lectures (5 lectures on
Saturday and 2 on Sunday) there. The school will terminate Sunday, Jan 10
at noon.

Submit your application to Olga Kharlampovich (Graduate Program Director,
Dept. Math and Stats, McGill University) to olga at math.mcgill.ca and Svetla
Vassileva (PhD student at McGill who is organizing the school)
svassileva at math.mcgill.ca

Deadline December 1, 2009