[cmath] Harmonic Analysis and PDEs - CMS Summer Meeting 2022, Completing the Session

Jessica Horobetz communications at cms.math.ca
Fri Jul 8 16:44:27 EDT 2022

    Harmonic Analysis and PDEs - CMS Summer Meeting 2022, Completing the
    Session

Due to some pandemic and technical issues, two scheduled talks in the
Harmonic Analysis and PDE session were not heard. To complete our
session, we are pleased to present two 50 minute talks on Thursday, July
14 from 1-2pm and 2-3pm EST (Ontario, Canada).  These talks are hosted
online and in person through McMaster University, advertised by, and
part of, the 2022 summer meeting of the Canadian Mathematical Society
with web hosting provided by Cape Breton University.  We do hope you are
able to join us.  Please note that we have limited space in our Zoom
meeting. If you would like to attend, contact Scott Rodney at
*scott.rodney at gmail.com* for the Zoom link.  Our session schedule is:

*Thursday, July 14 2022
*
*1pm : Evan Miller, University of British Columbia*

*Title:* /On the regularity of the axisymmetric, swirl-free solutions of
the Euler equation in four and higher dimensions/

*Abstract:*/In this talk, we will discuss the axisymmetric, swirl-free Euler
equation in four and higher dimensions. We will show that in four and
higher dimensions the axisymmetric, swirl-free Euler equation has
properties which could allow finite-time singularity formation of a form
that is excluded in three dimensions. We will also consider a model
equation that is obtained by taking the infinite-dimensional limit of the
vorticity equation in this setup. This model exhibits finite-time blowup of
a Burgers shock type. The blowup result for the infinite dimensional model
equation heavily suggests that smooth solutions of the Euler equation
exhibit finite-time blowup in sufficiently high dimensions./

*2pm : Fletcher Gates, McMaster University **This talk is also in person
at McMaster University - see website for more information (coming soon)

*Title: */Weighted Haar and Alpert Wavelets: Dimension and Stability/

*Abstract: */In this talk we discuss the properties of weighted Haar and
Alpert wavelets. We will give a classification of the measures in which
such wavelet bases are degenerate, and describe techniques for finding
dimensions of the underlying spaces from which the wavelets are drawn.
We will also present a stability result for weighted Haar wavelets in
doubling measures, and some preliminary work regarding the question of
stability in non-doubling measures./*
*
PDF abstracts and general information are found on our website:

http://faculty.cbu.ca/srodney/CMSSummerMeetingCompletion.html

Recordings will be posted after the session is completed.  We look
forward to seeing you on Zoom and send our best wishes.

Sincerely,

The Session Organizers

Scott Rodney, Cape Breton University Mathematics
Eric Sawyer, McMaster Mathematics