[cmath] COLLOQUIUM CRM CAMP IN NONLINEAR ANALYSIS (08/12/2020, Jean-Pierre Eckmann)

Centre de recherches mathématiques crm at crm.umontreal.ca
Thu Dec 3 13:53:23 EST 2020

COLLOQUIUM CRM CAMP IN NONLINEAR ANALYSIS

DATE :
Le mardi 8 décembre 2020 / Tuesday, December 8, 2020

HEURE / TIME :
10 h - 11 h / 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.

CONFERENCIER(S) / SPEAKER(S) :
Jean-Pierre Eckmann (University of Geneva-Vidéoconférence)

TITRE / TITLE :
A complete proof of the Feigenbaum conjectures

LIEU / PLACE :
En ligne / Web. Pour s'inscrire, veuillez visiter / For registration, please visit: http://crm.math.ca/camp-nonlineaire/

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
In the late 1970s, Mitchell Feigenbaum discovered the universality of bifurcations in one-parameter families of maps.  This universality was explained with a fixed point equation, and a flow in the space of all one-parameter families of maps.  With Peter Wittwer, I showed in 1987 a rigorous proof of this phenomenon, using a "computer assisted" proof of the Feigenbaum conjectures.  I will explain what are the somehow unconventional issues of this computer assisted proof, and how they are solved.  Please keep in mind that this is quite old stuff, and a more modern implementation of the ideas would be much easier now than it was over 30 years ago.

Responsable(s) :
Jean-Philippe Lessard (lessard at CRM.UMontreal.CA)
Jason D. Mireles James (jmirelesjames at fau.edu)
Jan Bouwe van den Berg (janbouwe at few.vu.nl)

http://crm.umontreal.ca/camp-nonlinear/