[cmath] University of Toronto's 23rd Annual R. A Blyth Lectures: Larry Guth, March 5-7, 2018

Chair chair at math.toronto.edu
Mon Jan 22 12:35:51 EST 2018

The Department of Mathematics at the University of Toronto
announces our 23rd Annual R. A. Blyth Lecture Series

Speaker: Larry Guth, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Schedule: March 5-7, 2018

Series Title: Introduction to decoupling

Abstract: Decoupling theory is a recent development in Fourier analysis,
created by Jean Bourgain and Ciprian Demeter. It fully answers a family
of difficult questions whose resolution had seemed far in the future.
The theory has several applications in analysis and number theory.  As
the starting point of the lectures, I'm going to take a conjecture about
diophantine equations which was recently proven using decoupling.  In
the first lecture, I will explain how this number theory problem relates
to an estimate in Fourier analysis, and try to give a sense of how
decoupling attacks this estimate.

In the next two lectures, I will discuss the proof of decoupling. The
proof of decoupling is based on some (fairly simple) geometric estimates
that are applied at many different scales.  The new and surprising thing
in the proof is just how much leverage the argument gets by combining
information from many different scales.  Starting with examples, I will
try to build up intuition for the proof, and especially for the role of
multi-scale arguments.

The whole series will aim to be accessible to a general mathematical
audience.

Visit http://www.math.utoronto.ca/cms/assets/Uploads/23rd-Blyth.pdf
for complete details.

Please print and post the attached poster.

Thank you,

--
Allison Andres
Executive Assistant to the Chair