[cmath] Jonathan M. Borwein, former CMS President, dies at 65

Melissa Bingol-Phillips commsp at cms.math.ca
Wed Aug 3 14:32:57 EDT 2016

It is with great sadness that the Canadian Mathematical Society
announces the passing of our dear colleague and friend, /Dr. Jonathan M.
Borwein/, Laureate Professor at the School of Mathematical and Physical
Sciences at the University of Newcastle in Australia.

Jonathan was fundamental to the vision and the growth of the Canadian
Mathematical Society, serving in many Executive and Board appointments,
including as CMS President from 2000-2002.

“Jon was an extraordinarily productive and diverse researcher, widely
recognized as one of the world’s foremost practitioners of Experimental
Mathematics,” said CMS President Dr. Michael Bennett (UBC).

The CMS wishes to extend our sincere condolences to the family, friends
and colleagues of Dr. Jonathan Borwein. We are humbled to have been in
the presence of a true visionary and leader, and we are truly grateful
for his unwavering dedication to our rich and diverse community.

For additional information please view:
https://cms.math.ca/MediaReleases/2016/borweinobituary

/*Traduction en cours, merci de patienter*/
<https://cms.math.ca/MediaReleases/2016/borweinobituary>

--

Melissa Bingöl-Phillips
Special Projects Coordinator