[cmath] James Colliander Appointed Deputy Director of PIMS

Kiernan, Clare clare at pims.math.ca
Mon Apr 28 13:08:19 EDT 2014

James Colliander Appointed Deputy Director of PIMS

The Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences is pleased to announce the appointment of James Colliander as Deputy Director of PIMS for a five-year period, starting on July 1, 2015. Professor Colliander will also assume a faculty position in the Department of Mathematics at the University of British Columbia.

James Colliander is currently a faculty member at the University of Toronto. His field of research is at the interface of partial differential equations, harmonic analysis and dynamical systems.

Professor Colliander obtained his PhD at the University of Illinois in 1997. After postdoctoral positions at MSRI and UC-Berkeley he took a faculty position at the University of Toronto, where he has been a full professor since 2007. Among his many awards he was a recipient of a Sloan Foundation Fellowship (2003), the McLean Award (2007) and the Outstanding Teaching Award in Arts and Science (2010) at the University of Toronto. He has been a Visiting Professor at the University of Paris and a Member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton. Professor Colliander is also the Founder and CEO of Crowdmark, an education technology company that was awarded the Connaught Seed Stage Startup Award at Toronto in 2013.

PIMS Director, Alejandro Adem noted, "The appointment of James Colliander as Deputy Director brings significant academic strength, energy and know-how to the PIMS team. He is an impressive and dynamic mathematician who is full of novel ideas that will benefit the entire spectrum of PIMS activities. I am delighted that we were able to recruit him. I also want to thank the current Deputy Director (Bud Homsy) for the wonderful job he has done over the past five years. He has been a key figure in the leadership at PIMS."

Clare Kiernan
Communications Manager

Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences
Web: www.pims.math.ca<http://www.pims.math.ca> | Twitter: @pimsmath