[cmath] Math Modeling in Industry Workshop at PIMS-UBC (Vancouver) on August 6-16, 2014

PIMS Director director at pims.math.ca
Thu Apr 3 10:49:58 EDT 2014

***Please circulate to students, thanks!***

+++++

Mathematical Modeling in Industry Workshop

Location: PIMS-UBC at Vancouver

Dates: August 6-16, 2014

The workshop is designed to provide graduate students and qualified advanced
undergraduates from North America with first hand experience in industrial
research. Students will work in teams of up to 6 students under the guidance of a
mentor from industry. The mentor will help guide the students in the modeling process,
analysis and computational work associated with a real-world industrial problem.
A progress report from each team will be scheduled during the period. In addition,
each team will be expected to make an oral final presentation and submit a written
report at the end of the 10-day period.

The workshop is jointly sponsored by the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical
Sciences and the IMA, with the support of Mprime.  This time we are offering
7 exciting projects for students to choose from.

The workshop itself ends on the 15th, but we have arranged for an optional tour of
Microsoft Research on the 16th which many students may find very interesting. More
information is available at the workshop web page:

http://www.ima.umn.edu/2013-2014/MM8.6-15.14/

Please note that the deadline for applications is ***May 9, 2014***

PIMS will cover expenses for Canadian students.

Alejandro Adem
Director, PIMS